OBREAL-Global Observatory is the current coordinator of the HAQAA2 Initiative and has recently expanded its mandate to cater to diverse global regions in a ‘South-South-North’ perspective, aiming to create bridges in support of shared development objectives.
The OBREAL – GLOBAL India Chapter will have the participation of Symbiosis International (Deemed University)- SIU Pune, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, National Institute of Technology, Karnaktaka-Surathkal and Asian Institute of Design, Bengaluru.
With the launch of the National Education policy 2020, internationalization of Higher education has come to the forefront of discussions. The COVID pandemic has also fueled this as we see a lot of collaborations between Indian and Foreign universities being active. This has lent credence to the ongoing collaborative activities of a few OBREAL-Global HEIs members like Symbiosis International (Deemed University)- SIU Pune, Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, Chennai, Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru, Asian Institute of Design, Bengaluru, and National Institute of Technology Surathkal, with OBREAL-GLOBAL Secretariat, headquartered in Barcelona, Spain and some of OBREAL-GLOBAL European members (KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)
Based on the successful implementation of several EU-Indian projects conducted during the last six years (MIELES, EQUAM-BI), this group of HEIs has agreed to come together to establish the Chapter India of the OBREAL – GLOBAL Observatory. The Chapter is being established as a working group within the association and pursues the following objectives:
- Facilitate bridges between Indian universities and research institutions to a global network of universities, university associations and higher education organizations that work together around internationalization of higher education
- Promote faculty and student mobility between Indian HEI and Research Institutions and HEIs and Research Centers in Europe, Africa, the Arab World and Latin America
- Promote digitalization processes in HE:
- Promote innovative approaches to learning, teaching and research
- Promote internationalization of the curricula
2. Work towards the integration of the Skill development agenda into the research and educational agenda of Indian HE and their global
3. Promote collaborations for research and innovation between Indian and international HEIs
- Look at EU and Governmental programs across the world giving support to join research initiatives
- Promote national and international Industry – university cooperation in strategic research for
4. Foster a culture of building robust internal quality management processes
5. Promote South-South-North relationships from an Indian perspective. These objectives will be achieved through concrete international projects that can benefit the Indian HE
The initiative, that will count on the support of European, African, Arab and Latin American institutions members of OBREAL GLOBAL and looks forward to working together with the FICCI, HE sectors and the Association of Indian Universities.
The OBREAL- GLOBAL India Chapter will be head-quartered in Bengaluru at the Asian Institute of Design and Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar, Pro Chancellor, SIU will be the first Chair of the OBREAL-GLOBAL India Chapter.
It is expected that this work will set the foundation for a more structured dialogue and collaboration between universities and research institutions in India and other regions of the world.
About OBREAL GLOBAL OBSERVATORY
Based in Barcelona, OBREAL Global Observatory (http://obsglob.org/) has recently expanded its mandate to cater to diverse global regions in a ‘South-South-North’ perspective, aiming to create bridges in support of shared development objectives. It focuses on the following three key pillars of the higher education sector, yet also extends its reach the youth and other related sectors:
- Internationalisation, mobility and collaborative international study programmes
- Quality assurance and recognition tools and processes
- Research and innovation
During the last 14 years, OBREAL- Global Observatory has extended its reach from Europe to Latin America, Asia, the Middle East and Africa, connecting important actors in diverse sectors in collaborative projects for research, education and development.
The setting up of the OBREAL – Global India Chapter will allow Indian universities and research institution to link themselves to a global network of universities, university associations and higher education organizations that work together around development, internationalization, research and innovation.